Easy Sausage & Bean Stew.
You can have Easy Sausage & Bean Stew using 19 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Easy Sausage & Bean Stew
- Prepare of oil (veg or olive is fine).
- You need of medium onion, chopped.
- Prepare of large carrot, cut into 1/4" cubes.
- Prepare of large stem celery, chopped.
- It’s of large cloves garlic, chopped.
- It’s of bay leaf.
- You need of cumin.
- Prepare of black pepper.
- You need of dried thyme.
- Prepare of paprika.
- It’s of dried oregano.
- You need of ketchup.
- Prepare of salt to start.
- It’s of vinegar (apple cider preferred, but white or red wine will work in a pinch).
- You need of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s of can of beans of choice, well drained (I used pinto.).
- You need of sausage link, cut into 1/4" thick coins (I used plain smoked sausage.).
- It’s of unsalted chicken, beef, or vegetable stock (water's fine in a pinch).
- It’s of optional: 1 Tablespoon hot sauce of choice.
Easy Sausage & Bean Stew step by step
- Preheat the oil in a pot to medium and sweat the onion, carrot, celery and garlic until the onions turn translucent..
- Stir in the bay, cumin, thyme, paprika, oregano, and ketchup..
- Add the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, beans, sausage, and stock, (and also your hot sauce if you choose to add it) stir to incorporate, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes..
- Adjust the seasoning if needed (but remember all the flavors – especially the salt – will intensify a bit during the next step where you're cooking partially uncovered and the liquid reduces)..
- Crush about 1/3 of the beans with a masher, turn the heat to low, and simmer with lid askew for another 15 minutes. Crushing some of the beans releases their starch and thickens the sauce..
- Enjoy over steamed rice. (Or with crusty bread or mashed potatoes or whatever works for you.).