Scallion pancake. Such an EASY snack or appetizer. One of my favorite dishes to order at a dim sum Chinese restaurant is scallion pancakes. The secret to layered, flaky, chewy-crunchy scallion pancakes?
Chinese Scallions pancake also known as green onion pancake or Congyoubing is one of the famous and traditional Chinese street foods and ideal Chinese breakfast. Scallion pancakes are one of the dishes I missed the most after moving to the US. Unlike simple stir fries, I seldom cooked them at home and was intimidated by the process. You can cook Scallion pancake using 7 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Scallion pancake
- You need of all purpose flour.
- It’s of boiled water.
- It’s of Scallion.
- You need of salt.
- It’s of Oil.
- It’s of Black pepper.
- You need of White pepper (optional).
Unlike true pancakes, "Cong You Bing" (or Chinese scallion pancakes) are made from a dough instead of a batter. The tasty appetizers are the perfect "sponge" for mopping up extra sauce and can. Freezer-friendly & just as good as our traditional scallion pancake recipes! Unraveling the mysteries of home cooking through science.
Scallion pancake step by step
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt in the flour before putting boiled water in. Mix it with chopsticks (or spoon) until you can touch the dough by your hands.
- Knead the dough until the surface is slick. Cover it up with wet clothes for 20 mins.
- Roll the dough into a round(around 1 mm tall) sprinkle 8 grams of salt on the dough.
- Add oil on the top of the dough.
- Use the brush to spread out the oil.
- Sprinkle the scallions evenly. Add pepper.
- Roll the dough up gently.
- Close the edge on the side to prevent scallion from popping out.
- Hold the edge on both sides and twist them by different directions at the same time.
- Wind it into 2 circles on top of each others.
- Flat it into 5 cms thick. Cover it by wet cloth for 20 mins to 1 hr.
- Preheat the pan until you can feel the heat on top of it. Put the pancake in. Cook with medium fire..
- Flip it around when the bottom is golden brown(around 3-5 mins). Cover the cap to cook the other side until it golden brown.
- Add oil into the pan (around 20 grams) Pan- fry both side till it’s golden brown.
- Put it on paper napkin to absorb extra oil..
- Voilà ❤️.
Scallion pancakes really are that easy to make home. I can't believe I've been ordering them from my neighborhood Chinese take-out, when I could have been making them all this time?! Scallion pancakes are a Chinese classic that is slightly crispy, doughy, and packed with scallions! They're simply made with just a few ingredients like flour, water, oil, and scallions. Chinese scallion pancakes are, as you might be able to tell from the picture, not really pancakes.